How fast can you scale a software business? 0 – 150 employees in 12 months…?
How would you even manage that?!
For Elias Torres, the CTO and co-founder of Drift, and my latest guest on the Escape Velocity podcast… it was easy.
Elias is the stuff of legends.
He’s a machine. He’s been either the founder, CTO or VP of engineering at:
And now Drift.
He’s very technical, a coder at heart, but he’s mastered how to scale development teams SUPER quickly.
Hiring 150 people in 12 months averages out to 3 people per week.
To do that without draining yourself of revenue, you must have water-tight systems, playbooks and processes.
When I sat down with Elias to talk about scaling software teams, the conversation soon led to the systems he relies on when he has to move quickly.
This episode is yet another goldmine of wisdom and practical lessons. Soak it up!
If I haven’t sold you on why this episode is worth your time, then let me spell out what you’re going to learn:
- Elias’ 3:1 ratio for team structures that works at scale
- Why selling is a skill coders should learn
- A shortcut for getting customer feedback straight to developers
- Ramping up team efficiency
- Why ‘Infrastructure’ is a dirty word
- How to use internal product demos to improve your offer
- The essential processes you need before you can grow
- How to infuse a culture of productivity
- The one goal that every team NEEDs to have
This guy knows how to grow software.
To quote him directly:
“Everything needs an engine: a collection of processes that let you achieve your desired outcome repeatedly.”
Get your headphones in or speakers on and enjoy the episode right here.